top of page
  • Writer's pictureFranny Yen

What If There Are Errors on My Credit Report?

Updated: Mar 30, 2020

If you find that you have errors on your credit report, follow this procedure to correct them:

  • Make a copy of the report and circle the item(s) in question. Keep the original for your records.

  • Prepare a letter to the credit reporting agency requesting to have the item(s) removed or corrected. If you have documented proof to support you (e.g., proof of payment) include a copy.

  • Also prepare a letter to the creditor reporting the item(s), informing them that you are disputing the error. State why and include supporting documentation.

  • Send your correspondence via certified mail.

You should receive a response within 30 to 45 days. If the error has been corrected, the credit reporting agency will send a new credit report.

If you do not receive a response, send a follow-up letter reminding them that the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires a response within 30 days from the date they received your initial dispute. Attach your original letter and proof of delivery.

If the credit reporting agency responds that your claim has been investigated and the item will not be removed or updated, you can request a reinvestigation under Section 611 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Do so within five days of receiving the results.

You can repeat this process; however, after three to four attempts, you may consider filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission Consumer Response Center at

13 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page